Apr 9, 2018
Kate Van Horn the Co-Creator of the GoodFest wellness festival
is here to talk about the festival, her recovery story, body love,
and all good things.
In this episode of the Clean Eating for Women podcast, we
- What GoodFest is all about
- Letting go of labels and still living authentically
- Tools like yoga helped Kate heal from her eating disorder
Some highlights of this episode on body love & all the
- GoodFest started in Philadelphia and the first festival ended
up with 350 women from all over. Then they decided to try a
festival in L.A. Then they are going back to Philadelphia, but they
are also planning to go to Austin and Seattle. [01:35]
- The spirit of loving yourself and finding like minded women at
GoodFest. They want it to be an inclusive community. Wellness
should be fun and exploratory, not rigid. People should go to
GoodFest with an open mind, and take what works and leave the rest.
- Kate's personal journey of figuring out where she belonged and
letting go of labels. She thinks it is important to feel you
identify with others. She started out as plant based vegan, but
struggled with it. Being able to make choices and be in alignment
with our food choices. Letting go of labels can be a feeling of
- Not being rigid left more room for being creative. This
actually snowballed into the Good Festival. Flowing led to more
opportunities and made things more fluid. Just allowing things to
be along with having trust leaves room for flow. [10:00]
- Kate loves yoga and thinks it was the final piece of the puzzle
that helped her eating disorder. Mindfulness and moving intuitively
really helped her healing process. Her yoga practice started as a
home practice where she was at peace with her body. [12:04]
- Having an accountability buddy or working with a specialist
when working on recovering from an eating disorder. Everyone
benefits from talking through things, but it is also empowering to
have tools like yoga. There is a lot within us that we can do when
we are ready. [16:25]
- Finding balance in finding speakers for GoodFest. They chose a
panel for the L.A. GoodFest because people have had different food
experiences. They want to represent different voices. They also
chose the food freedom route. They framed it as a relationship with
food and discovering what food is best for each person.
- One of the purposes of GoodFest is for women to have a place
where they aren't judged. Kate wants it to become the norm when
people in the wellness community get together. [24:06]
- The next GoodFest on 8/11/18 will feature Kelsey Patel and Ruby
Warrington, a panel, yoga, and Alexis Joseph. It will end with a
meditation. They are going to have large groups instead of tracks.
It's going to be a main stage format. [31:21]
Links mentioned in this episode:
Join the Clean Eating for Women Community!
Don’t miss new blog posts!
Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and
recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.